About a third(1) of Americans between the ages of(2) 18 and 40 have at least(3) one tattoo(4). As they grow older(5), some of them are having their tattoos removed.
KEN SALER: “Voila!”
DAVID: “Yay!”
David served with the United States Army(6) in Iraq. He says this large(7) tattoo protected him in battle(8) during(9) his deployment(10).
DAVID: “It’s just a double-headed(11) eagle with a shield(12) in the middle(13).”
But today, David is the father of three young children(14). And his feelings(15) about tattoos have changed(16). So he has been coming to this laser tattoo removal(17) clinic in Washington, DC.
DAVID: “I didn’t happen to think(18), you know, one day I was going to have kids and what they were going to think about it. And with my recent addition(19), I just had a newborn baby(20) in the house, and I’d really like it if he never even saw it(21).”
KEN SALER: “Glasses on(22).”
Ken Saler operates this laser center. He says he often(23) treats(24) women who believe tattoos are hurting(25) their career(26).
KEN SALER: “Some are extremely emotional and they say ‘This is the best day of my life that I’ve had. I’ve looked at this thing(27) for 20 years. I’ve wanted it off(28). You can’t imagine how I’ve wanted it off’.”
KEN SALER: “For today I’m going to juice you up(29) a little bit(30).”
CLIENT: “That’s a little bit more pain(31), am I right?”
KEN SALER “Not much. If it is, we’ll let you know(32). You got the blue ball(33) all ready?”
CLIENT: “Yep, got it.”
KEN SALER “Okay. We’re ready(34) to go.”
Jennifer Bezdicek is a lawyer(35) in Washington. She is having a small tattoo removed from her ankle(36).
JENNIFER BEZDICEK: “I got this tattoo when I was 18. Wasn’t the smartest decision(37) I’ve ever made(38) and it just was not, you know, not conducive(39) to seeing clients or being in high-profile places(40).
So I just wanted to get rid of it(41) altogether(42) and not have to worry about(43) it anymore(44).”
KEN SALER: “Okay, I’m going to cool(45) the treated area with the skin(46) chiller(47).”
New laser technology makes tattoo removal less painful(48), and less costly(49). The laser breaks up(50) the coloring(51) into pieces(52) that are small enough(53) to be removed by normal body processes.
It takes(54) several treatments(55) for the tattoo to disappear(56) completely.
DAVID: “I thought(57) it was something that I would want to have forever(58) but you don’t always need to have an image on your body to portray(59) who you are and how you feel.
That should be(60) something that’s, you know, just inside(61) of you.”
I’m Steve Ember.
Vocabulary
- About a third = aproximadamente um terço
- between the ages of = entre as idades de
- at least = pelo menos
- tattoo = tatuagem
- As they grow older = à medida em que eles envelhecem
- Army = exército
- Large = grande
- Battle = batalha
- During = durante
11. double-headed = de duas cabeças
12. shield = escudo
13. middle = meio
14. children = filhos
15. feelings = sentimentos
16. have changed = mudaram
17. removal = remoção
18. I didn’t happen to think = eu não cheguei a pensar
19. Addition = aumento, acréscimo
20. newborn baby = bebê recém nascido
21. even saw it = sequer visse isto
22. Glasses on = colocar os óculos
23. Often = frequentemente
24. Treats = trata
25. Hurting = prejudicando
26. Career = carreira
27. Thing = coisa
28. Off = for a
29. juice you up = “animar” você
30. a little bit = um pouquinho
31. pain = dor, sofrimento
32. we’ll let you know = nós vamos avisar você
33. got the blue ball = “está pronto”?
34. ready = pronto(a)
35. lawyer = advogada(o)
36. ankle = tornozelo
37. the smartest decision = a decisão mais inteligente
38. I’ve ever made = que eu já tomei (decisão)
39. Conducive = conducente, útil
40. high-profile places = lugares de alto padrão
41. get rid of it = ficar livre dela
42. altogether = completamente
43. worry about = preocupar-se com
44. anymore = mais
45. cool = refrescar
46. skin = pele
47. chiller = resfriador
48. less painful = menos doloroso(a)
49. costly = caro(a)
50. breaks up = fragmentar
51. coloring = corante
52. pieces = pedaços
53. small enough = pequenos o bastante
54. It takes = é necessário
55. several treatments = diversos tratamentos
56. disappear = desaparecer
57. thought = pensava
58. forever = para sempre
59. portray = retratar
60. should be = deveria ser
61. inside = dentro